8. /No/ Barcelona, Spain I should have known when we landed well after 12am, through a rattling thunderstorm at Barcelona-El Prat aeropuerto. I should have known when I found out that the metro in Barcelona stops running after midnight on weekdays. I should have known when I sat through 34 stops on the night bus and managed to get off at the wrong one somewhere … Continue reading 8. No
6. /Wonder/ Seville, Spain Having hung around for about 6 hours at Madrid’s T4 terminal waiting for the 5am train out of there connecting to Seville, I am already over this trip. Like what is the point, yaaarrr? I’m so way off my itinerary that I might as well go home now. Sighing-ly – yes, practicing gratitude of actually being under the skies of Iberia … Continue reading 6. Wonder
5. /Free/ Alfama, Portugal It smells of sweat and gelato baked together in midday Lisboa summer sun in here. There’s a stickiness to every surface that probably hasn’t been scrapped off since the last decade but I’m too hot and bothered to care. I plop down next to a window and semi-hang out of it trying to catch a breeze. As this rickety white and … Continue reading 5. Free
4. /Space/ En Route LIS – MAD 6 days into the trip and the baggage status on the tracking website has changed from ‘not traced’ to ‘in-delivery’. By now I own a new Mickey Mouse t-shirt and a purple one and some underwear from H&M (because they’re the only place with big sizes alright!). I asked the Portuguese speaking girl at reception to call Iberia’s … Continue reading 4. Space
3. /Balance/ Chaido – Baixa, Lisbon, Portugal. It must have been the first night in the first darn hostel when I strained the back of my foot. Climbing up and down top bunk beds don’t particularly suit us islander women (Note to self – ask for bottom in all future reservations). Gahhhh I just remembered that Indian railway episode! What probably made it worse was … Continue reading 3. Balance
2. /Comfort/ Plaza Major, Madrid Dear Reader I’m sure there’s been someone out there whose done the numbers and written a thesis and has a proper academic backing to prove that the level of your comfort has a direct relationship to your life learnings! After all almost every 4th other motivational video you’ll watch today, will urge you to get out of your comfort zone! But … Continue reading 2. Comfort
1. /Find/ LAX Tom Bradley International Terminal Dear Reader It’s been a while since I’ve hit the road. 2 years and 4 months actually. One day a few months ago, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and my stomach just sunk. My eyes – they possibly couldn’t have been mine. There were tiny spots on my cheeks and some lines defined … Continue reading 1. Find
I’m sitting here in causal talanoa after a traditional welcome kava ceremony in the cool, dim village-hall of Nabutautau but my mind’s hardly on the conversation in the room. I am staring out the low doorway of the bure at what looks very much like a sacrificial rock alter and encircled open space where perhaps once-upon-a-time chiefly tribal ceremonies took place. This remote (remote as remote gets ’cause we’re smack-bang … Continue reading Fiji Mountains & Yam Samosas For The Soul!
Growing up I couldn’t wait to be of an age when I would be all ‘grown-up’ and sorted. The age when my clothes were perfectly co-ordinated (think silk blouses and white pants), my hands elegant with a perfect watch & jewellery combination and just like in Sex and The City, I’d also have a cohort of friends with whom I’d always be talking through and … Continue reading Belong
We’ve all been there. Sitting around an airport on the brink of tears from boredom in between flights especially if it’s a hole like LAX International or a domestic air terminal in the middle of nowhere with a broken vending machine and 3 plastic seats bolted to the floor (because they tend to disappear!). With Fiji (Nadi) being “thrown-in” in many RTW issued tickets these days … Continue reading Long Layover in Fiji? Try A Thermal Mud Bath!